A Firestick is one of the best streaming devices available today, where you can get access to some of the most popular streaming services, apps, games and so much more. However, because some content is often geo-restricted, it might get difficult for you to access your files or media accounts on Firestick while traveling. With that said, the best fix to sign in and use your Firestick apps while travelling, is a VPN. For those of you who are new to Fire devices, and don’t know how to get started, this abridged guide will help you get started!
Will just any VPN work for your Firestick?
Here’s the thing, there are many VPNs available today that might cause a little confusion as to which one works the best. As most of us already know, the influx of cybersecurity issues also comes in the form of vulnerable apps, which also include certain VPN providers.
For this reason, is always wise to go for renowned VPNs and one that supports your Firestick. After research, most users have looked up “ExpressVPN Firestick” among a couple of other providers. So, for this tutorial, we’ll use ExpressVPN in the guide below.
How to install a VPN on Firestick
- On your Fire device, look for the ExpressVPN app.
- Click on “Get” once you find it, and then on “Open.”
- Your ExpressVPN app will now begin to download and install on your Firestick.
- Launch the VPN, sign in to your account.
- Connect to any server you like depending on what you need.
If, however, this step doesn’t work for you, there is another method called Sideloading, where you can get the VPN or other apps on Firestick, by using the Downloader app, and enable the apps from unknown sources.
Once you enable the apps from unknown sources, head back to the homepage and look for the “Downloader” app and download it. You can follow the same procedure above, by clicking on “Get” and wait a bit for the app to download and install. Launch the downloader app, and enter in the ExpressVPN APK file link into your URL section, click on “Go” and wait for the app to download and install. Click on “Done” to finish the installation, launch the VPN and start using it.
How a VPN helps with overall experience on Firestick
There are many reasons as to why you would need a VPN, and in fact, there are a few common reasons where Firestick users are concerned.
- If you’re experiencing a sudden decline in the speeds especially if you’re paying for a fast internet package, chances are that your ISP is throttling your data and speeds. A VPN will help you bypass ISP throttling.
- If you’ve got a Netflix account and planning on traveling, then you won’t be able to access it on your Firestick, from another country that enforces geo-restrictions. With a VPN, you will be able to safely change your IP address, and sign into your Netflix and other streaming accounts again.
- It helps secure your device from malicious apps and viruses, if ever you download the wrong one on your Firestick.
And that’s about it! You can now use your VPN on your Firestick to your hearts content! Always make sure you choose the right one through research, but also make sure you use a VPN safely and avoid downloading illegal content.